Friday, March 28, 2014

Take 2, Day 1

Starshine is off towards the South Pacific again, this time I'm going solo, apparently Gail has much more sense than I do.

Got the engine fixed, checked out of Mexico (got my Zarpe) and was preparing to leave the marina when I noticed that the chart plotter screen was blank. Hey, it's a boat, stuff breaks! I anchored in La Cruz and took the offending unit in to see Pieter the electronics guru. He took the unit apart, put it back together and tested it. It worked fine. So I took it back to the boat and viola, it worked! Apparently, there was a bad connection internal to the unit (maybe between the two boards) and taking it apart and reconnecting it solved the problem. We'll see for how long. Actually, I don't use the chart plotter much in the open ocean (there's not much to see). I also downloaded the iNavx app for my iPad and that is awesome - I have all the charts for the South Pacific and the iPad GPS tracks my position. So now I think I have 5 separate GPS rececivers! Technology is amazing!

I am currently leaving Bandaras Bay (20 deg 35' N, 106 deg 43' W). There is an awesome 10 - 15 knot breeze from the NW and we are doing about 5 knots heading 240 T. At least 3 other boats also left today, including Trevor on Nakiska, another singlehander. He is on his way back to Australia where he started many years ago (16, I think). He has done all his ocean passages by himself. His next crew is flying out to Hiva Oa to sail French Polynesia with him for a few months and I am hoping Gail does the same.

If I had a dollar for everyone who said they were going to live vicariously through me ... So, I don't know who is out there listening but I will try to keep a regular blog - I don't want to disappoint any followers (if anyone's actually out there in the matrix). Unfortunately, I can't see any comments until I get to my next internet hot spot but I will read them all then! For those that have my sailmail address, please write me.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

Josh said...

Fair winds and following seas! Definitely with you vicariously. I'm only taking about 5 weeks off after leaving DG. I'm moving out to Colorado next month to work Dream Chaser for SNC. I'm not even halfway in and already wishing it was longer!

Unknown said...

Yes keep your blog going as I too am sailing vicariously through you as Archie and I would love to make that adventure - we just don't have enough sailing/boating knowledge!!!

Safe travels - Archie and Ann maybe we can meet up with you and Gail in Hawaii for a drink in 2016 when we move back.