Monday, November 24, 2008

First Solo Passage on Starshine


I awoke this morning in River Dunes (near Oriental, NC) and found frost all over the boat and dock. I had to carefully make my way up to the showers to avoid slipping into the water - although the water was much warmer than the air! Boy, do I need to keep moving south!


After checking the weather and settling up with the dockmaster, I headed out on my first solo passage on Starshine. I had cruised solo many times about my Flicka, QED, including a two month cruise through Florida, the Keys and the Bahamas and I have sailed Starshine solo several times, but this was my first solo passage on this much larger vessel. With all the modern technology (chart plotter, autopilot, cell phones, etc) this first step was really no problem. Eventually I will get used to handing Starshine and I think she will "shrink" as time goes on.


I decided to head for Beaufort, NC ("Bo-fort" as opposed to "Bu-fort", in SC). The day started out a little warmer and with lots of sun (but no wind) so I motored up the Neuse River and into Adams Creek and the Adams Creek Canal. I ended up at mile 202 at the Town Creek Marina, a nice little spot just outside of Beaufort. Just before getting in I saw my first dolphins of the trip but each time they appeared, they quickly dissapeared before I could get a picture - you'll have to trust me. For now, here is a picture of the sunset from Beaufort for all of those people who have said they wanted to live vicariously through me as I pursue my adventure (notice - no desks, no commuter traffic, no TVs, no schedules).

No comments: