Tuesday, December 16, 2008

In the Heart of Florida


I finally left the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) today at mile marker 987 near St. Lucie Inlet. I decided to cross the state on the Okeechobee waterway cutting across the middle of Florida to Ft. Myers. I plan to stop there for a bit, visit my dad for xmas and do some work on the boat. Then it's on to the Florida Keys and Bahamas.

Lots of excitement today. First I had to pass through 3 bridges close together in a very strong current. As I started towards the first fixed bridge, the second, a railroad bascule bridge started closing. I had to turn around and wait about a half hour for a train to pass and then had a close call getting through the two bascule bridges with lots of traffic, several narrow passages and lots of current. We made it though. The next bridge, a high fixed bridge brought the next challenge. A large sportfishing boat came through going the other direction and the guy would not slow down or move over in the channel. I eased over to the very edge of the channel as he passed and slowly watched the depth decrease. As he went by, I bounced along the bottom before getting back into the channel. The next bridge had only a 54 foot clearance. All the bridges on the ICW are 65 foot clearance and I thought my mast height was 50 feet but I wasn't sure. Well, I squeaked under the bridge but couldn't tell how close I was. At the next bridge, with a 56 foot clearance, I asked a tug driver going the other direction how close I was to the bridge and he said I had about 4 feet of clearance. Another close call. I guess I need about 52 feet.

The next bit of excitement was going through the St. Lucie Lock. The book recommended against doing this solo but I didn't have much choice so I went ahead. It was a pretty good rise, I'd guess around 15 feet and it was a handful handling two lines as we went up. But we made it through that challenge as well.

I finally got a slip in Indiantown Marina just shortly before Lake Okeechobee (27 deg 00.53' N, 80 28.09 W). It was my first marina in 4 or 5 days but there is no anchorage available on this part of the waterway. I have now gone well over 1000 miles since leaving Maryland! My big challenge tomorrow is to get under a fixed, 49 foot bridge. I have a guy lined up to meet me at the bridge who will put several barrels on one side of the boat, fill them up and tip me over enough to clear the bridge - hopefully. I'll let you know how that adventure goes! Then it's across the lake, several more locks and on into Ft. Myers.

BTW - thanks to whoever added the comment on my last post. Oh, and I just had to include the picture of the dolphin swimming in my wake. It's kinda like sex, it doesn't matter how many times you experience it, it is always fun.

1 comment:

S.V. Bristol Rose said...

Dave, can't wait to read your next post! The barrel idea is pretty inventive. Hope it works out. We went offshore from Charleston to Fernandina Beach - Florida at last! Catching fish for dinner!
Hope to catch up after Christmas.
Trish & Robert