Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fall is in the air

Getting ready to head south! Went to the Annapolis Boat Show yesterday and spent a bunch of money - on necessary equipment and fun!

I now have a liferaft, EPIRB and all the safety stuff needed to go voyaging. I also bought a Walker Bay inflatable kayak for fun! On top of all that, I have sold my house in Leesburg and that has been keeping me busy; cleaning out the house and figuring out what to do with "stuff".

The "Current Plan" is to head south in December to get Starshine ready and then sail further south ahead of winter. We need to get below about 10 degrees N before Hurricane Season kicks up again in July. After this El Nino year it may be more active and interesting. Then it might be gunkholing through Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela and the ABC islands before the change of season and transiting the Panama canal to explore the the West Coast of N America. Or something along those lines...

I still have about 250 things left on my getaway list but I am making progress. Almost done spending (and making) money and nearly complete with the myriad of arrangements required to leave the real world behind. This being the second time, I should have almost everything taken care of this time. All loose ends closed and freedom almost achieved.

Good luck to Bristol Rose, departing soon for half way around the world. I'm still a little behind you, but hope to catch up some day!

Stay tuned, Dave and Starshine

1 comment:

S.V. Bristol Rose said...

Hi Dave, how did I miss you at the show?? I was there on Friday, helping the economy along as only a cruiser knows how.

I hate to tell you this but it is really cold in the Chesapeake in December. Watch those frosty decks.

Great to hear you're almost ready to jump back into some cruising. Now that's the real world! Take care and keep in touch.