Sunday, April 27, 2014

Anchored in Hiva Oa

We made it! A beautiful anchorage here in Baie Tahauku near the town of Atuona. It is a bit small but pretty well protected. Currently, there are 15 boats here with room for a few more. I got lucky as several boats had just left before I arrived and I have a nice anchoring spot in about 15 feet of water. Trevor from Nakiska came over and helped me set my stern anchor as the boats are anchored close together.

It was interesting coming in as you can't see the anchorage until you're almost here and it is in a side bay off the large Baie Taaoa, or Traiter's Bay. There are lots of mountains around and thick forests of all kinds of green trees. One jagged peak is constantly covered in clouds. It is quite a change after being in Mexico for 6 months. There is a small store and fuel station here but the town is a good 45 minute walk away. When I went ashore I could barely walk as I was so used to the boat motion and the not used to terra firma!

OK, let's do the numbers:

28 days, 8 hours - total passage time.

2773 miles - distance sailed (straight line is 2700 miles).

4 knots - average speed, 98 miles/day

55 hours - total engine hours on passage (mostly in ITCZ).

40 gallons - diesel fuel used (less than half carried).

0 - major breakdowns, unless you count the water heater leak and blown water pressure hose (repaired underway).

Being in the South Pacific - Priceless!

OK, now it's on to my new list of boat chores and repairs!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good going Dave!!

Doug and Martha on Thea

Trish said...

Congratulations Dave! We strongly recommend Fakarava in the Tuamotus if you can add to your list. Unbelievable snorkeling and diving.

S.V. Bristol Rose said...

Dave I've messed up my google account, the post (Trish) is from Robert and I, s/v Bristol Rose.

Josh said...

Congratulations, Dave. Quick the accomplishment! I hope you enjoy the anchorage and the rest of your trip continues smoothly!

Unknown said...

CONGRATS and YEA!!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! Wow what a journey!!! Send pics of the South Pacific!!! Arche & Ann

Unknown said...

Congrats Dave! Hope you and Gail have a blast out there.