Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Company - Day 26

As I was listening in on the Puddle Jump Net last night on the SSB radio I heard some traffic on the VHF radio. I called back and it turned out to be another sailboat heading for Hiva Oa. It was a 57 foot catamaran and they went flying past me even though I was doing about 5 knots. They were an Australian couple and daughter passaging from the Galapagos and heading home to Oz. They came right up next to me and it was so strange to see another boat and other human beings after not seeing anything but water for over 2 weeks! We took pictures of each other in the sunset and I look forward to meeting them in HO.

We are still making good time, about 5 knots, and have been averaging about 120 miles a day for the last 3 days. We are about 320 miles out of Hiva Oa and may need to slow down a bit to time arrival for daylight on Friday. Of course, the weather gods may have different plans for us ... I am looking forward to the boat sitting still and being able to move about and function without constantly hanging on. Nakiska, the other singlehander that left about the same time I did is ahead of me and should be getting into Hiva Oa today. He promised to save me a spot in the anchorage! I have only run the motor for a total of about 40 hours so far and 30 of that was to get through the ITCZ.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice work, bro! I've been excited to see you consistently in the 5-6 knot range when I check in on you. Enjoy your much-deserved rest. We had a great time in NYC with Gail and Lara, and I'm sure she'll have even more fun in the south Pacific.

Unknown said...

We can't wait to see pics - we are anxiously awaiting every email to make sure you are safe. Awesome that you saw another boat.
Can't wait for Gail and you to meet up again - I can't blame her for not making the trek.

Ann and Archie

Trish said...

Hiva Oa had well stocked little grocery stores, or so it seemed after almost 3 weeks at sea! Recommend also you indulge in a "steak frites" meal, good value in the Marquesas. Making landfall earns you the best grape fruit in the world, pomplemousse, we still crave them but nothing else compares. Looking forward to more on your blog.