Friday, April 25, 2014

Moon & Stars - Night 28

The last sliver of the moon has just risen, about 3 hours before sunrise. The sky is clear and the stars of the southern hemisphere are out in all their glory. The only constellation I know down here is the Southern Cross but I did see the Big Dipper for a while near the Northern horizon last night. This voyage has covered one complete cycle of the moon and is now coming to a close.

When the sun comes up I will begin my 29th and final day at sea! I am about 25 miles out from Hiva Oa and should see land at first light. Today I will drop my anchor in the South Pacific for the first time, the culmination of a dream I've had for 40 years. I guess I'll need to come up with a new dream for the next 40 years - how about going to the moon? Or to the stars? First, I look forward to exploring the many different islands of the South Pacific starting with the Marquesas. We may visit Fatu Hiva and Nuku Hiva in addition to Hiva Oa before then setting of again on the 450 mile passage to the Tuomotus. Some of these coral atolls that we may visit include Manihi, Ahe and Rangiroa. After that, it's off to the Society Islands - Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora ... We will have a 90 day visa for French Polynesia which includes all of the above island groups. But first I need to finish this passage ...

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hearty congratulations! I promise that if I don't make it to the South Pacific to see you I will absolutely go with you on your trip to the moon. I hope you have wifi so you can share some photos of the trip and the Marquesas.

Unknown said...

Great news and best of luck. Can't sail to moon though, as far as I know. Everyone sends love and best wishes.